Monday, April 2, 2012

Be Thankful for What You Have

This weekend I spent Friday night and Saturday at Colby College for the first ever Greater Maine Collegiate EMS Conference. With fourteen people representing UMaine and the University Volunteer Ambulance Corps it was a great turnout. Groups from Bates EMS, Colby Emergency Response, and prospective services as Husson and USM were in attendance. What I, and many others found, was a great opportunity to reach out to other collegiate EMS services and see what they do.

Dr. Diaz, the Chief Medical Officer of Maine General Hospital spoke of the changes for the future of EMS in the state of Maine. He also gave a bright outlook into the world of EMS and how these changes will enhance its impact on the state. Presentations from all groups allowed everyone to see first hand what each service provides to the school. It also provided an opportunity to ask questions, share ideas and get to know other people in the same area of skills.

Log rolling the "patient" during the competition
The day ended with a skills competition that brought groups of three together to take scenarios with real moulage, and provide care, and patient transfer in ten minutes.

UVAC finished with 1st 2nd and 3rd place for three of its groups, bringing home plaques with gold, sliver and bronze painted trauma shears.

The best part of the whole experience  was the ability to confer with colleagues at different services and get a feel for what they do. After leaving it was clear that UVAC is very lucky for the things we have, and the great group of people that work there. With now over 70 people, a beautiful ambulance, well maintained equipment and the support of the University we are very proud to serve the UMaine community.

Preparing to put the patient on a backboard.
UVAC also plans to go back next year to compete and bring back more to the conference in terms of information, people, and an abundance of knowledge to help new services grow.

As I look at what has been accomplished over the year, its clear that I am very lucky to work with an amazing group of people who volunteer thousands of hours a year to a single purpose. Never again will I complain about anything that we have or do not have...Instead I will think about how fortunate we are to have the things we do and how other services are not so lucky.

1 comment:

  1. I found it very interesting to read and hear about your experiences!! I can't imagine what it must have been like to be a part of this weekend.

    ReplyDelete