So this week I figured that it might be a good idea to talk about UMaine itself. Those of you who have seen the campus or are fortunate enough to attend classes there, know that it is a very beautiful school. During the fall, when it was semi-warm and there wasn't a layer of ice on every walkway and snow didn't cover everything (not so much this winter), I spent an afternoon walking around the older area of campus. I brought my camera along since I have an interest in photography, although it has been a while since my last photography class and I barely remember anything from it.
 |
| Chadbourne Hall take from lawn of Estabrooke Hall. |
But on this walk with a few friends, I really got to thinking how beautiful the UMaine campus is. The area around the Presidents House, Coburn Hall, Alumni Hall and along college ave near the USS Constitution cannons.
It's really amazing to take the time to look at these old buildings and their architecture and the amazing detail. It certainly is something you wont find today. The best part is perhaps these buildings are still standing today, despite their neglect over the years. You can even find some abuse on the old cannons, from nighttime escapades of the intoxicated. Despite these little blemishes, the abundance of nature and the character of these old buildings give the University of Maine a feeling that you really can't find anywhere else. I think that everyone who does go to school here, or even visits, should take an opportunity to get to know the campus. Having an appreciation for where you live, work or play does a lot for everyone.
 |
| Coburn Hall |
Included here are some pictures from my walk around campus. These are all from the South-Southwest side of campus which is my favorite area. There truly are some great spots to enjoy.
 |
| USS Constitution "Old Ironsides" cannons |
I really liked this posting, I work over in this part of the campus and I completely agree that it is a very beautiful portion of the campus. I can also appreciate how nice and open the older portion of campus is, especially since the closer to the union you venture the more cluttered the buildings become. Finally I'd like to complement the photo of the field it just happened to stick out to me in a way that I enjoyed because I have seen that exact sunset many times walking down to the Steam Plant lot.
ReplyDelete