A collection of events, stories and photos from my experiences at the University of Maine, Orono.
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Spring Break
After having the past 2 weeks off from school, coming back is kind of a shock to me. I feel like I've forgotten a lot of what I learned prior to spring break. So just why does UMaine have such a long break? I mean, I certainly needed one after taking some tough courses this semester. But, I wonder if those 2 weeks are a bit much. I don't mind having a vacation though, and I certainly dont want to downplay the importance of it. Besides being done on May 5th is great, since it makes for a nice long summer break. Anyone know what other schools do for spring break?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I, too, agree that two weeks is a long time to be away from the books. I remember grade school having two breaks, one in February and one in April. Perhaps they think that our brains have matured enough to be away for longer periods of time :) That being said, it was nice to have a break and the weather was fantastic. Here's hoping for an early spring!
ReplyDeleteI personally like the two week break. It can kind of suck if you have an exam right after break but I the two weeks is nice. One week now just doesn't seem enough. But I do know that many other colleges, even other UMaine colleges, like PI and Farmington, have two different one week breaks. I like the spring semester because it goes by so fast. You have 7 weeks of instruction and then two weeks off, and then 7 more weeks til the end. Already one week is done and there is 6 weeks til finals week (kind of like 5 and a half because not too much goes on academic wise during Maine day and after). But I do see where people would like 2 seperate week vacations. If I could choose, I would take 15 weeks straight and get done two weeks earlier, so get done mid April.
ReplyDeleteI mostly agree with Julie, I mean I love the two week break from the books and everything, and I couldn't imagine not having two weeks off. The spring semester flies by and a honestly appreciate it, because I mean who doesn't want to be out of school for the summer. I mean I want summer and everything but going 15 week straight just might kill me. I know some schools only have one week off and I appreciate the two weeks of break, but you are right, I kind of feel a little behind when I get back from break, like everyone is so much smarter and on top of it, but maybe everyone feels that way.
ReplyDeleteI know to most this is going to sound weird but I feel that I don't even want a break during the spring semester. Here are the reasons why. Before spring break I am on a roll getting things accomplished and everything has a rythme to it. Test, homework, readings and projects just seems to keep coming along and I keep on completing them on time. When the two week break came it was a time to get ahead on school work and to relax with the family, which is always great to spend extra time with the family, but when we start the semester up again it is always was twice as hard to get into a rythme and getting this going again. I am now watching the date waiting for May to get here. If there was not a break we would only have about three weeks left and for me that would be awesome. But that is just me.
ReplyDelete