Monday, February 20, 2012

Is It Winter or Spring?

Okay, so I'm not sure if anyone else is confused by the weather recently, but I've got to say that its just ridiculous. Now I am a Mainer, but still, its February and it was 40 degrees the other day...yet past years we had about 40 inches of snow on the ground. I just have to wonder why we have such weird weather. I remember last year, which was my first year here at UMaine, and walking to class in -15 degree temperatures with wind gusting at 50 MPH and blowing ice in my face. I can't say I miss that, in fact I liked the bout of 40's last week, it was t-shirt weather! But I've got to say, why doe we have such weird weather? I mean is it global warming, or just the fact that Maine is in it's own special weather category? People laugh when people from Maine say that we have 8 months of winter, but it's usually true. Maybe mother nature just got tired of the cold weather and figured Maine wanted a break. For me, I don't mind...Im looking forward to the time when I can go outside without a hat, gloves, and jacket. Just getting to drive around with my window down over the weekend was nice enough.

I hate to complain though, I still love Maine and its odd weather. Although the less time I spend getting pelted by ice walking around the UMaine campus the better. Spring break begins Friday, and I think that quite a few people are looking forward to some sun and warmth after hibernating all winter long.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree the weather this year was quite different from the past couple years. But I will take it. I would much rather have it 30-50 degrees than the opposite -30 to -50. Plus this warm weather has helped with the oil bill. More money for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know what a "normal" winter is like for Maine, because apparently this last winter was a "nice" one? I'm not really sure if I would say nice, but I'm glad it wasn't horrible. I definitely don't mind he little extra sunshine we have gotten.

    ReplyDelete